Sunday, August 1, 2010

Blood & Gore Galore!

I finished listening to the audio version of Blood Trail by C.J. Box last night.  Talk about a wild thrill ride!  It was my first Joe Pickett, and I had no idea what I was getting into, though many people over at LibraryThing.com seem to really like C.J. Box. 

Joe Pickett is a former game warden and now a special agent reporting directly to the governor of Wyoming.  In this book (which is somewhere in the middle of the series, I think), someone is targeting elk hunters, and Pickett must find the murderer before more hunters are killed and gruesomely turned into trophies while at the same time dealing with a flamboyant anti-hunting activist who comes to town to capitalize on the uproar over the murders.

The parts of the mystery I enjoyed the most were when the murderous hunter spoke, describing the hunt, the wildlife, the landscape, the prey, and the justification for the murders.  It was like I was there, seeing, feeling, smelling what the hunter saw, felt, smelled. 

I think I'd have gotten more out of the novel had I read the series from the first, but, even without knowing all the backstory, I enjoyed Blood Trail.  I wasn't thrilled with the reader, David Chandler, but I was able to get used to it.  I did enjoy his voice when he read the chilling words of the murderous hunter.  The other voices were sometimes a bit annoying.

No comments: