Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Seven Sins of Memory

Started The Seven Sins of Memory by Daniel L. Schacter last night and am finding it surprisingly accessible and extremely interesting, especially now that I'm getting a bit on in age and forgetting things more often. I was disappointed to learn that science doesn't seem likely to come up with a "magic bullet" to help with memory, and that for absent-mindedness, the only thing to do is use Post-Its (or other memory cues). I've been avoiding doing that, maybe because I don't want to admit that my memory is not as sharp as it used to be, but I guess I better invest in some pretty Sticky Notes to use around the house. You know, to remind myself to "unplug iron," "pay credit card bill," "feed fish before leaving for work," "put wash in dryer," "take library books back on Saturday," and the like.

Hmm, now, where in heaven's name did my eyeglasses go? I had them just a minute ago!

No comments: